Sunday, March 12, 2006

Things F a l l Apart Entry #7

My poem for the English Project

A source of great sorrow
A new faith has overwhelmed the people’s souls
This
Embodies a mad dog ravenous of its followers
They say our worshipped gods are false
gods of wood and stone
“Leave your wicked ways,” they say
“And turn to Him so that you may be saved when you die.”
Pieces of wood and stone
Do not control our land
This realization
Breaks the men of Mbanto into derisive laughter. However the dusty and silent chords of evangelism
Pluck at the heart of the men
The poetry of this new religion
Provides relief to parched souls
From seeing and hearing this
A sudden fury rises above me
Within me
And my heart cries out to destroy these miscreant ways of life
A man’s place was always in the lizard’s tail of the clan
If he left, someone else would rise.
Everyone has left and this union of great warriors
Has diminished
However through this lunatic religion
Lies success
Umuofia is now the prosperous land that we have always dreamt about
But these prophecies and arguments
Slowly heed the people to the Christians’ words
Many came to learn in school
And learn their ways
Churches were established
And this land that I once called native
Is not as memorable as I wished
The new religion and government
And the trading stores were much
In the people’s eyes and minds
And as these changes spread
I can only mourn for the
Breaking and
Falling apart
Of the way I see and breathe life

1 Comments:

At 5:26 PM, Blogger ... said...

Wow! Another amazing poem!! It was soo good! I liked how you described everything and pretty much summarized it in the poem, but in a better way than simply summarizing in like a paragraph. And I liked the ending. It was good =)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home