Wednesday, November 09, 2005



"Inside the snow globe on my father’s desk, there was penguin wearing a red-and-white-striped scarf. When I was little my father would pull me onto his lap and reach for the snow globe. He would then turn it over, letting all the snow collect on the top, then quickly invert it. The two of us watched the snowfall gently around the penguin. The penguin was alone in there, I thought, and I worried him When I told father this, he said, 'don’t worry Susie; he has a nice life. He's trapped in a perfect world."
I have just started a new book, called The Lovely Bones by Alcie Sebold. This strong novel is a first-person narrative that tells of a girl explaining her death, and what she sees from the heavens above. She sees her family in grief, and she learns many things from different people. She sees a slow contortion of her parents's relationship, and she sees how much has changed since she has gone. This book seems so good, in that it makes us realize that Alice Sebold's concept of hevaen may be possible. She thinks that the people who have died go to heaven and can observe us. This concept makes me wonder, and I can only think of Susie's position. To know that you have died, because of a man who cannot be suspected of, would break me to pieces. She's trying to scream it out, that the killer is right under their noses. In the end, I beleive she will learn more about her family and friends, and mainly herself.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home