Thursday, May 11, 2006

The Joy Luck Club Entry #4


Changing Places/Changing Faces
I made this poem from the influence of the theme and parable of The Joy Luck Club by Amy Tan. This poem is told in the perspective of a mother.

One day
On a bright autumn night

I whisked away everything
It was the night my mother told me I was useless
Nothing but a mere bud that has no chance to blossom
So here I have left
With all my belongings
With all of my life left behind me
When I grow up
I would want my daughter to be proud of me
A blossomed flower
But it seems that time has stopped
The days seem longer
On this boat to some place that I will soon call home
I will live life like any wealthy person would, I tell myself
I crooned to my daughter, who had already been born, that we were almost there
The city lights shined at me eyes
And suddenly I saw my daughter change
Serenity was her essence
But now she is ignorant
Ignorant of the life before her
Failing classes and talking back to me as if I were some insubordinate
I want to tell her I risked my life for you
But she wouldn't understand
But I guess in the end...
Ignorance is bliss
...For her at least...

1 Comments:

At 2:19 PM, Blogger ... said...

i really like this poem! it reminds me of the lady and her swam, with this one being the lady and her baby. so creative! i liked the bud that couldnt blossom part. i think that the daughters were ignorant. ad i guess ignorance is bliss, just not in their case, where they dont seem to appreciate or undertsand their mothers and what they've went through. also, they dont appreciate thier easy lives in america.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home